What is decaf coffee and how is it made?
In decaf or decaffeinated coffee, at least 97% of the caffeine is removed from the coffee beans. Some common ways to remove caffeine from the coffee beans are:
- Organic Solvents Method– The coffee beans are soaked and heated directly in an organic solvent like methylene chloride to remove the caffeine.
- Swiss Water Method– The coffee beans are soaked in hot water and transferred to a decaffeinated green coffee extract mixture. The caffeine present in the coffee beans leaches out and dissolves in the extract solution.
- Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Method- The green coffee beans are soaked in highly compressed carbon dioxide to eliminate the caffeine.
Decaf Versus Regular Coffee
- Quantity of Caffeine- Although the name may suggest that the beverage is caffeine-free, the reality is that decaf coffee may contain around 1-2% of the original caffeine content.
- Presence of Anti-Oxidants- During the roasting process, both the decaf and the regular coffee lose a mild amount of anti-oxidants, compounds that are beneficial for the body. However, in the case of decaf coffee, the loss of anti-oxidants is on the higher side.
- pH Level- In decaf coffee, the pH is around 5 whereas, in regular coffee, it is between 4 and 4.5 which shows that caffeinated drinks are much more acidic than the decaffeinated ones.
- Stimulation- Since the caffeine content in decaf coffee is on the lower side, neither will it boost your energy nor will it leave you sleepless. That’s why decaf is the perfect option for those who want to enjoy the beverage before bed without affecting their sleep.
- Safe Threshold for Consumption- Despite boasting many health benefits, excessive caffeine intake may cause side effects like dehydration. Therefore, it is recommended to go with decaffeinated coffee if you drink more than three cups of coffee per day.
You can buy freshly roasted decaf coffee from Naivo which has the same taste and flavour as the original coffee.
Why choose Naivo for roasted decaffeinated coffee?
With changing times, decaf coffee is something that has significantly improved in the coffee industry, particularly in the specialty coffee arena where aroma, taste, and procedures rule. With innovations in the decaffeinating procedures and high demand for better decaf coffee, it has become possible to enjoy regular specialty coffee without caffeine.
If you prefer to enjoy coffee in the evenings but don’t want to lose your sleep then try decaf for a change. You will find it to be as flavourful and soothing as a regular cup of coffee but without any unwanted stimulants.
For the best decaf coffee in India in which there is no dearth of taste and quality, Naivo will be your best bet. At Naivo, we collaborate directly with our overseas exporters and farmers to produce some of the best decaf coffee which is freshly roasted to bring out every detail so that you can enjoy the craft in every cup. Naivo will always roast your decaf fresh before delivering it to your doorstep.
1. How can you tell if coffee is decaffeinated?
Decaf coffee beans are lighter in weight and appear darker after undergoing the roasting process.
2. Is decaffeinated coffee available in India?
Yes, decaf is available in India. Naivo are one of the sole roasters who offer specialty grade decaf coffee. The coffee we have on offer is Colombian Supremo.
3. Is there no caffeine in decaf coffee?
The caffeine content in decaf coffee can be somewhere around 0 to 7mg (per 8oz coffee). However, it may depend on the type of coffee beans and the decaffeination process. Considering how negligible this amount is, it will not influence your caffeine-free experience. It must be noted that it is impossible to make coffee 100% free of caffeine.
4. What are the benefits of decaf coffee?
Decaf coffee is a preferred option for those who like coffee but want to prevent the side effects of caffeine. It can be sipped just like any other beverage during late-night conversations without affecting your sleep. It usually contains antioxidants that can give health benefits and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
5. Is decaf coffee good to drink at night?
Yes, you may drink decaf coffee at night. Since 97-99% of the caffeine is removed during the decaffeination process, it will not act as a stimulant and affect your sleep.